View Single Post
Old 04-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I'm happy for you.

IIRC Insight are hybrid. Are you going to leave it stock for comparison purposes vs converting to pure EV? Massively increasing the battery energy density shouldn't affect the aerodynamic result.

Apparently, Insights have a 22" tire height. BMW i3 tires are about 26", a 10% overdrive. My vote is for 19" aluminum motorcycle rims laced on Model A ford hubs. Else old MG wires with knock-offs. You're going to need the re-gearing.
*I want the mods to allow for a 'stock' condition to be achieved within a matter of minutes.Like BamZipPow has allowed for with his single-wheel boat tail trailer project.
It will allow a trip to Darko for 'fully-modded' testing,then denude the car for a naked baseline,and then reattachment again for continuing the trip west.
This way,we can compare to the Cd 0.30 CAR and DRIVER measured for the 1st-gen Insight at the A2 tunnel.
I'll be traveling light,so stock wheels/tires will be necessary (I'm not going to pull a trailer full of additional bits and pieces ) to get mpg numbers along with drag data.
I may pay an mpg penalty with the stock gearing.It will just have to be.At least I'll know the Cd each way.And if the 10%/5% metric holds,I can reverse-engineer the penalty for not gear-matching.
BamZipPow (04-03-2016), freebeard (04-02-2016)