View Single Post
Old 04-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
I did not find a listing may take a phone call.
One more, plausible option Lander 70mm (1700W) 10-blade EDF Unit inc Motor for 6S LiPo
This could could be mounted in the intake system after the Intercooler, it has a plastic blade . A metallic or high temperature plastic blade can be 3D printed to permit hotter Intake Air Temperature. To take advantage of the hot expanded (higher volume ) air right off the compressor. Again risk of failure in a prototype =$1000s damage . So not so good on primary turbo at this time. I am thinking a secondary as before, this time leave it intact and blow through 1to as many as you can afford@£79.95 ea without building to much backpresser,causing the valves to flote.
After much testing this could then advance to the primary and under low boost (turbo lag )it could be powered as a blower of sorts. Negative pressure on the Intake impeller should spool faster. As well as 1-3psi boost at idle posable ( I don't know how thrust translates) More research is in store.
Theory to contemplate. Each ducted fan unit would cause a presser drop =reduction of air temperature., as well as a venture effect.
If we can find one of theas rated for 700°f continuous it could be mounted straight in the exhaust pipe or 1.5"size 1 in each header primarily. Pulses on a moment befor the valve opens then transitions to Generator mode. Ideas I'm full of them.

Gumby stay flexible.
Transferring the energy from shaft to compressor to fan is going to be abysmally inefficient, well under 50%.

Those fan blades are also bad for this application. The primary source of energy in the exhaust is the high pressure waves produced when an exhaust valve opens. A turbocharger's turbine is pretty good for this because the exhaust is directed in the direction of the turbine blades' travel, which creates more torque for the same transfer of momentum.

The way I thought of for converting a typical turbocharger to an electric, high efficiency turbo is to grab a turbo one size up (to get a more efficient exhaust turbine) with very high A/R, either swap the compressor to something smaller or mill down the blades to reduce the pressure they can produce, and then somehow extending the shaft a bit so the electric motor can be fitted.