View Single Post
Old 04-08-2016, 01:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
My VX redlined at 120mph IN THIRD GEAR! That's about the same as the SI tranny in 5th.

Maybe there is something I am missing. My 76 Z would do 30/60/90/120/150 in the respective 5 gears. MY 59 Vette would do 60 in first, 120 in second, 140 in 3rd and God only knows what in 4th (.308 diff 7k rpm redline).

40 years ago

My Mirage does 3k rpm at 60, same as the VX in 3rd gear. I wish the Mirage would do 2k at 60 just like the VX.

What I DON'T understand is why people who have such tall 5th gears just don't DOWNSHIFT, if they want more revs per mile. Try driving a big rig for a while.

No rule says you HAVE to use top gear, but there sure are situations where I would like to run my Mirage at lower rpms on the highway.

Maybe that's why manufacturers are so reluctant to put tall overall gearing in cars, People think top gear is the only gear when driving on the highway, when they should downshift, like the automated dual clutch 6 speeds operate.

regards
mech
In my HX, city driving or taking off on Hills was torturous. First gear was way to steep. It was worse than to driving an insight with no IMA, in my opinion.