View Single Post
Old 04-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
EVmetro
EcoModding Apprentice

I confess to having an unusual drive to seek out ultimate efficiency and perfection when I build an EV, and it has shown me things that I suspect most people will never really notice. Without the proper instrumentation, it is not possible to study and record the resistance of every single connection real time,and being able to do this has really taught me the difference between a nice connection and the best connection.

There are efficiency gains to be had with ultimate connections, even if they are not much. The other thing that is important about the integrity of a connection is how well it holds up over time. I have noticed that if I monitor my highest resistance connection over time, the resistance of that connection begins to get even higher faster than the resistance of my other connections. The better the connection, the longer it will last.

In the case of connections in my latest build, My controller is in communication with my BMS via canbus, and is programmed to derate my throttle as needed to prevent any one battery from dropping below whatever minimum voltage I program in. If there is a connection that has more resistance, it is calculated as a voltage drop, and my BMS will identify a lower voltage on that one battery and cut back my throttle to protect the battery. The battery is fine, but the higher resistance will effect the voltage reading. What this means is that I get less voltage sag and delta, and more throttle if my connections are perfect.
The Following User Says Thank You to EVmetro For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (04-09-2016)