View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherniydiavel View Post
My car originally came with steelies. I found some aluminum turbine rims in a junkyard and put them on the car. They are lighter and should help mpg a little bit. Once I wear out this set of tires, I am going to upgrade from 215/70r15 to 225/70r15. That might help economy a little bit, and will definitely help traction and ride quality. I fill them up to 32/32 cold. I don't know how much I can fill them without negatively affecting tire wear… how much do you guys recommend?
You might want to try for a larger tire. Make sure the tires fit the car of course without needing to make modifications, but when I switched from 205/75R15s to 225/70R15s it didn't effect the mileage much. The big difference was the old tires were dry rotted and were rated for 35 PSI max, the ones I have now (General Grabber HTS) are rated for 44 Max. Personally, I'd go as high in PSI as I possibly can without causing abnormal tread wear in the center. But, that's me and is it really the best option considering the suspension also takes more of a hit on a higher PSI? Also keep in mind that when you switch tires to a bigger size your speedometer and in turn odometer are going to be off if you don't fix them so you'll need to compensate; going to a larger size will mean both speedometer and odometer shall read lower than you're actually going. For my larger tires, (going from 205/75 to 225/70) that seems to be 2.2 miles per hundred if that (though I only checked that once shortly after I got the tires) and the speedometer reads 55 when I'm going 59 or 60 yet at other times the speedometer is not as inaccurate at slower speeds; it varies, sometimes the GPS reads that I really am going 30 when the needle is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I'll second that. Anyway, what about a manual transmission conversion?
Manual Trans + 6.2 Diesel Engine = 30+ MPG HWY even in that aerodynamically draggy car. Pulsing and gliding can be done downhill at least. I've thought of doing it myself. But, of course there's the increased cost of Diesel fuel yet comparing 30 MPG to approx. 18 MPG even if Diesel is 15-25 cents per gallon more expensive it's still cheaper to use Diesel as far as fuel goes.

Repairs, on the other hand... I'm not experienced here so I can't comment. Diesels are more expensive to repair if I understood correctly, but at the same time as long as they're maintained well they tend to last longer than gasoline engines?