View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Shocks, antiroll and Panhard on truck. Plus capital E elimination of steering slop in truck. Even the "improved" steering on the 4WD has weak points. Driving a big truck makes me extra sensitive, I suppose, enough to choose a truck based there first, not on drivetrain.

Very pleased you want the torsion axles. That, and antilock disc brakes thru TUSON is a gigantic change for the good in handling/braking. Reviews on the mr trailer site.

10% pin weight seems low. Ought to be 12 or more IIRC. And, is the hitch height compatible with today's taller trucks? (maybe that is part of the plan with new axles is to raise trailer height. A 5er makes that less of a penalty, all around).

Impressed by the amount of work you're doing. Folks think these things are easy to remodel, and they're not. Space efficiency is difficult. Mistakes stand out more in a small space, etc.

Going to do the Zepp floor finish treatment on the exterior? (maybe that's for the fiberglass crowd).

Window seals are the biggest pain on older units. Not a "big"'job in comparison to others, but potential for damage to interior great both stationary and underway.

FWIW, my best mpg in towing is at 55mph. Plateaus by the now usual 58/9-mph at 1,725-rpm in the 3.73-geared QC long bed with topper CTD. NV5600 six manual. On cruise control once on highway. Above 60 even a little it starts to drop off fairly fast. Or, why I want 3.42 as gearing with stock tire size gets too high for sub-65/mph travel.

Rear OEM wheel well liners a nice upgrade. I run Rotella T6 and Baldwin oil filter. MOPAR 4" air filter. Muffler replaced with a lower restriction ROKKTECH unit.

Once hitched, using a CAT Scale a must. I roughed in my rig recently and instantly gained 1.5-mpg with better weight distribution. Simply good enough to get me up the road. This on a rig where both vehicles need repairs and maintenance also related to FE.
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
skyking (04-25-2016)