Thread: HCH1 Ecomodding
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
samwichse
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Hey, now we have both have the exact same cars in the exact same colors .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
50mpg @ 70mph should be achievable in an HCH1 with LRR tires and proper foot control.
HCH1 LB is actually even a little more lean than the Insight's. However, there's a gotcha: It absolutely will NOT enter lean burn over 64mph. Will. Not.

It will hold lean burn if you're going down a hill and are already lean burning when you cross the threshold, but it won't go in it above the threshold without slowing down to below the magic 64 mph.

LRR: The Defenders are what I have on mine. But before that I searched down a set of the B381's that came originally on the car. Those are like the RE92 for the Insight, definitely superior gas mileage, poor tread life. I lost about 3-4 mpg going to the defenders after.

Do install IMAC&C for your HCH! It's soooooo cheap and soooooo easy compared to the Insight stuff. A tiny thumb-sized circuit board with three buttons and it only takes 2 wire taps (power) and two wire splices (serial control from ECM to MCM) to work. I zip-tied mine to the end of the e-brake lever and it's VERY helpful IMHO.

Also: OBDIIC&C is available for the HCH.

Definitely watch your temperatures very carefully with the full block. I was driving to canada this February and while I was in NY state, I got very close to overheating, even though the outdoor temps were ~20F. I had to open the block by 50% to handle the hills. BTW, nice block . That same grill perfectly handles stuffing two pieces of foam pipe insulation into it, and it actually looks pretty good.

And yes, the car handles like a freight train compared to the Insight. I added some Tokiko blues because I like the stiffer ride feel and they helped with a lot of the waddling. Also: the HCH1 power steering sucks... makes my car kind of hard to hold centered in the lane. The stiction in the wheel is suddenly, and massively overcome and it's hard to make just a small correction. Ugh.

Sam
The Following User Says Thank You to samwichse For This Useful Post:
Ecky (04-21-2016)