Thread: CdA list
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #142 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
the 2016 Chrysler minivan is reported at .30 Cd, I don't see the frontal aera but now also has active grill shudders.

from Allpar "Chrysler spent 1.2 million CPU hours for fluid dynamics development and over four hundred hours in the wind tunnel to bring the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica out with a drag coefficient (cD) of 0.300, the top rating among its primary competitors. The minivan includees a minivan-first active shutter system, cutting drag by an average of 10%; when closed, air is redirected around the van. The shutters are usually closed at high speeds but open at low speeds or if the coolant gets hot.

A steeper windshield angle channels air off the front portion of the upper canopy; aero-shaped mirrors were designed with the extra load of the closed shutters in mind. The rear angle was optimized to cut turbulence; sill claddings and aesthetic “blister” channel air away, particularly from the wheel openings. The roof taper channels air to the spoiler, whose trailing-edge design shapes the air wake. The design of the rear pillars have an offset edge to push air off the rear upper corners of the minivan. A front-fascia close-out panel prevents air from channeling into the engine compartment and cuts “air swirl;” the engine shield pushes air down for the same reason. Front tire spats work like air dams, kicking air from the tires. Mid-floor belly pans on both sides, around 7 ½ feet long, are used on Touring and higher models; a rear suspension shield over the rear axle deflects air down, while a rear air diffuser panel channels air between the rear wheels. A hood seal cuts turbulence and noise. Even the wiper blades were optimized.
2017 Chrysler Pacifica minivans: Chassis and handling
I think we may lease one, but I kind of want to see what deals will be on the Hybrid version if any.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-26-2016), Ecky (04-24-2016), Piwoslaw (04-24-2016), sendler (04-24-2016)