View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Piotrsko:

Whoops, didn't see yours until my previous posted.

Quote:
other than the propensity for arc flash at unexpected times, I see a chance of generating Gamma rays at 1 KV. shielding mitigates most of that, but expensive and heavy.
Gamma, really? I thought x-rays came first. Odd. Source? If I can make Gamma rays with 1kV, the Mad Engineer wants to know...

Quote:
The other problem I see is physically maintaining insulation. lots of common and available stuff just isn't feasible above 600v. Hv stuff is expensive if you don't have space.
This is a very legit concern - if I can't get parts without paying a hefty "high voltage" premium, then the whole thing isn't worth it. I'm trying to cut costs by re-using existing stuff, not give myself more expensive problems.

Quote:
OTOH running 2 separate packs until just at the controller might work, kinda. isolating the 2 packs is an interesting thought puzzle. and extraneous leakage is just plain ugly.
A single pack already needs to be isolated from ground, so I don't see isolating a second pack as any harder. What extra issues need to be figured out for a series connection over and above running two packs in parallel? Now, properly disconnecting them from each other to allow charging with available OEM chargers is a different problem. I don't really want to cover new ground there, if I can avoid it. Series-parallel battery switching has been done with relays, but I don't believe it has been done at these voltage levels.