View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #624 (permalink)
ByDesign
Eco Dabbler

Hey great job with the folding trailer. I love seeing when folks take a little extra time to do the job right. Thinking through the material choices and making things fit. Great job with it !!

Oh, and thanks for the photos. Love to see it all in action!

My friend had one of these trailers. Loved the way it folded up and could be put out of the way. However, was not happy about durability and after having it a while asked me to weld it all up solid (eliminating the folding) to make it road worthy. Hopefully they've changed the design now so they do better.

My one suggestion, if my friend had used some fine thread bolts with nylock nuts and flat washers on both sides to be sure the connections were really tight and didn't vibrate at all, it probably would have been better. I remember part of the issue with his was the holes rounded and flared out, cracked, etc. associated with poor connection. I think spending a little more time in the "set it up right" category will go a long way to making it a good tool for you for a long time.

Use fine threads so you can get more clamp force. Use flat washers (prefer SAE for better fit) so that the parent material is not damaged as you tighten. Use nylock so they don't vibrate loose (and the nylon does not damage the threads like other anti-vibration nuts, and they don't damage the other materials like split washers.) Replace the nylocks after they've been taken on and off a few times so they always resist vibration. IMHO.

Enjoy it! I have had tons of trailers, and I think they are definitely the way expand capacity as needed.