View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #988 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
We should start a thread for "eco-driving/modding classic eco cars". This summer I have myself lined up for my first ever turn behind the wheel of an original Beetle and a Mini Cooper.
I think both of those would beat the Pinto. Not by much mind you, I don't think there would be a huge gap between any of them. All are old, no overdrive, carb'd. The Beetle and Mini probably weigh less, and have less loss through the drive train as they don't have the engine at the opposite end from the drive wheels. Plus the Pinto is a 2 liter vs a 1.6 or smaller for the Beetle and whatever came in the Mini. I think being at least 40 years old, more would come down to tuning/condition than anything else. Still, it'd be fun to do! There was an old dual point Accel distributor on the local Craigslist for a Pinto 2.0L, I wonder if it's still there? I have driven lots of old Beetles, but never an original Mini. If I had to guess, I would think the Mini would win, the Beetle would be second, and the Pinto last. If we did a thread for it, what would be the cut off for "classic"? I think my '87 Civic 1.3L 5 speed would clean up, if I could get it to stay running haha. I'd say if it has a carb instead of F.I. it's a "classic".

As for the pickups in Edmonton, why do you think I'm going there? haha.

I haven't rescued an old eco car since the teal Civic I grabbed last year, but I had to pay actual money for that. There just hasn't been anything old showing up for a long time. Or anything like a 1.0L Metro, the '93 I saw was the first in a long time, and someone paid $1000 plus fees for it. I still have that '96 I bought a few years ago if you want it. If I drive the Pinto to Edmonton and back you have to drive the no 2nd gear synchro Metro across the country haha