View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Highbeam
EcoModding Lurker

I have owned my 2000 F350 daily driven 7.3 diesel for about 80,000 miles.

You already have a block heater, all 7.3s do. It is located right above the oil filter and the plug is stuffed into the bumper on pickups, you'll have to follow the wire to find yours. It's just under 1000 watts and works.

The engine oil of choice for this engine is shell rotella t6 full synthetic 5w-40 from walmart. It works very well in all temperatures, factory recommendation is 15w-40 and since 5w-40 is wider but inclusive of 15-40 it is always better. 3.5 gallons per oil change. The OEM motorcraft oil filter is also sold at walmart for under 10$.

The 4r100 transmission is very expensive. Nobody uses synthetic. Instead keep the trans fluid up to level and flushed with standard at the recommended interval.

I use 2stroke oil, 0.5 to 1 oz per gallon of diesel. It made an immediate difference in rattle but no fuel savings. It's to keep the injectors happy. walmart supertech TSO.

For mileage, keep RPM under 2000. Keep cruise speeds low.

The computers and sensors on this engine run the engine. It is not your grandpa's diesel. Everything is computer controlled from fuel injection to throttle position. High voltage solenoids and high oil pressure oil fires the injectors, not an injection pump.

I added a performance chip. They are only a 2-300$. Huge improvements in transmission behavior and power but mpg was not changed.