View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
acparker
EcoModding Apprentice

It will be near impossible to modify your vehicle to perform safely and reliably on dirt roads AND get efficiency comparable to a street vehicle.

Having run over more than my fair share of nature's spearheads on back roads, I would recommend that you concentrate on the most survivable tire. Street tires just aren't going to have the same protection as an off-road rated tire. There are off-road tires that have tread designed to run relatively quiet on pavement. Perhaps quieter tread equates to (slightly) lower rolling resistance? Oh yes, no matter what tire you get, make sure you have a couple of spares with you, and a patch kit.

Chains limit speed. I can see how they may help in mud, but on a long desert track that can easily (perhaps not safely) be driven at speeds above 60 mph, the restricted speed is a serious impediment.

Solid or max. pressure tires, after 100 miles or so of washboard, will shake your vehicle (and you) apart. My ex-brother-in-law had mining claims in the desert of Western Utah. He would go through a truck about every 3 years because the body welds would start to break.

Get a reliable air compressor so you can adjust tire pressure to match road conditions (and fill tires after repair). I have not had particularly good luck with those little compressors sold at parts stores. They burn out quickly, if used regularly.

The easiest and cheapest way to squeeze more miles out of a tank is to drive your diesel like a diesel and keep it well maintained.

If you are driving mostly on dirt, get an air intake snorkel and a pre-cleaner to keep your filter from clogging quickly and reduce risk of grit in your turbo and engine.

A full skid plate guards against undercarriage damage from high centering and tire-thrown rocks and debris. If designed properly, it can also act as an aerodynamic belly-pan. Then you don't have to worry about an air dam and approach angle issues. Losing the side skirts will also help with clearance. Save them. For some reason, vehicles have higher resale value with them on.

Remember that any aeromods you make will be subjected to extreme abuse, so design and fabricate accordingly.

For highway efficiency, losing the rack would be the first thing I would do. It is a large van, you ought to be able to fit everything inside, unless you have a lot of passengers, and even then, a trailer would probably be a better option. Am I right in assuming that the solar panels do not allow the rack to be used to carry anything? There must to be a better solution for the solar panels.