Thread: My Rabbit (WIP)
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
TheTalman1
EcoModding Lurker

Da Blue Bomb (RETIRED) - '92 Chevrolet Caprice Stationwagon Classic
90 day: 20.93 mpg (US)

Passat TDI - '14 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL
90 day: 46.22 mpg (US)
My Rabbit (WIP)

I bought this Rabbit back in October IIRC and drove it for a time. Had put some time and effort into it but the engine is losing compression and very hard to start (I use 24volts now to get it to fire). So a new job and many moons later I've got the time and funds to do something with it (within reason). Come Saturday I'm going to go pickup a lower mileage motor to swap into it.
Just an FYI It's a 1981 VW Rabbit LS Deluxe (came with AC and is a diesel)
1.6l Diesel with a 5-speed Manual

However in the meantime I've embarked on a paint job and some minor body work, removed the front bumper and straightened out the lip under the front valence. The great thing about painting a car with rustoleum bedliner is if there were paint bubbles/rust spots you can scrape it off with a piece of metal or a knife and wire brush it and you are good to go. Also adjusted the hood abit so it sits flush. It had come open on a previous owner hence the hoodpins and was a touch out of alignment.

Also I have heard it all before about the exhaust routed through the interior. No I didn't put it there. Yes I have some ideas about what to do about it but I'm leaning towards keeping it just because its silly and kinda cool. I may put up an interior "firewall"of sorts so that its not in the passenger compartment.

Before

WIP Just shot the car with spray on bedliner after wirebrushing the rust away. Car is surprisingly solid with only one rust hole located in the passenger side rocker, but it is about 8 inches long.

After adjusting hood and where the car stands now