View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunfj40 View Post
Somebody did a higher-voltage DIY EV, in Australia!

It's a 576VDC direct-to-transfercase AC Suzuki 4x4. Can do ~50mph at 4000RPM, which is apparently the limit for that motor/controller/voltage combination.
I would expect this to be quite reliable - using off-the-shelf parts, staying within the design window for the individual parts.

It may be a bit heavier than it needs to be, so it may take a bit more power to move it. But if you are building a daily drive that you need to be reliable .. over-built with much room for error is GREAT!

Quote:
Built using industrial drive and motor. 6x 96V packs, tied together in a junction box by the drive to keep any single wire's potential as low as possible. Apparently has contactors in each 96V box to separate into a total of 12 48V modules. Can charge with 48V.
13 contactors is a lot of contactors for the series string. Does that mean 24 contactors to put the packs in parallel? WOW.

Quote:
I can't seem to find the thread where they went into the drive to get at the DC bus.
I think the DC bus is a set of terminals on the Variable Frequency Drive.

Here's the manual - page 51 shows DC+ and DC- terminals on the drive

http://206.72.118.208/legacy%20liter...n%20Manual.pdf

Quote:
576VDC at stock current levels ought to push a Leaf motor to ~118kw output without increasing heating overmuch. Now going to 200kw doesn't seem that much of an over-current push for short-term acceleration.
I would expect so - seems reasonable to me