View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
Yup, and that's exactly how you should approach something like this. Yes, it will remove a slight margin of safety from your car. So, you need to compensate with your other equipment (the nut behind the wheel). But always remember: kids, dogs, rabid monkeys may at any time jump in front of your car and it is my opinion that my equipment should be in the best condition to avoid hitting them. If you hit me and I found out you had your tires inflated not only above your vehicle spec, but also above the sidewall max, i would sue you for every dollar you've ever made, and twice for every dollar you hope to make in the future...

but I don't live in america, so that won't work.
I believe there are minimum braking performance safety standards in the US and Canada that vehicles have to meet. So I think this covers your butt in cases like these, even with tires "over" inflated any car would still meet these standards (I couldn't find actual numbers in a quick google search). No one gets sued for driving a 3 ton SUV instead of a better stopping car when they crunch someone.

I put pizza cutter 155/80R13 snow tires on my Neon in the winter. My dry pavement handling is now much worse than stock tires. If I get in an accident on dry pavement will anyone blame me for having snow tires on? Not likely.

Hopefully people won't be so paranoid about frivilous lawsuits to stop getting some free efficiency gains from their car.
Ian