View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
wildman10
EcoModding Lurker

When I saw how much larger the pdf file size was than the attachment limit I dismissed the thought of splitting it. If opening up the link is difficult I'll break the original Word doc into smaller units for multiple pdfs that I'll add separately.

Again, thanks for your references. I'd seen all 3 before my post: the first confirmed my view of the general importance of wheel wells to drag; the second is pretty hard going and worthy of further discussion below; the third describes the fit of an extra oil cooler/radiator in the bumper and I can see little, if anything, on the oil coolers ahead of the front wheels.

The second reference, the numerical simulation paper, provides confirmation of the negative Cps in the wheel well (indeed, the image I posted comes from this) and shows the difficulties of getting CFD to get even close to values measured experimentally. It also allows me to use a bit of imagination to see how adding air into the wheel well will affect the distribution. For example, the vortex diagrams give me an idea of how the extra air will be thrown out.

I can, though, see nothing on the effectiveness of various locations for cooling air. I'll carry on looking.
Mazda RX8 R3 for improved mpg (currently 17 mpUSg)
2001 Honda Accord 2.3 for improved mpg (currently 29 mpUSg in sedate driving)