View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veen
EcoModding Lurker

Veen's '09 FIT - '09 Honda FIT Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 43.41 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Depending on how you set it up, you might want to check the setting for the UG itself. For a longtime, my UG cut out for several seconds much of the time when I cut the injectors. Then I learned here about a settings change to how often it attempts a restart or something (search the forum). Fixed it.
Yes, the power off settings on the UG will help this. I had the smart problem on my FIT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I don't know what you are driving, but on my old Civic, I cut into the ground wire for the fuel injector relay. Cuts the injectors off immediately. My toggle is normally closed, switching to off is to open the circuit. I have used it for maybe four or five years without trouble (though I have worn out one switch and broken wires).
I don't know how much current flows through the injector ground, if it's low enough, a normally closed momentary switch would be okay. I always think of what will happen if my mod fails while I'm driving. If my mod will "brick" my car without serious work to remove the mod, I'm not interested. In my case, I wired the power side of the relay normally closed, so applying current to the control side of the relay will break(open) the circuit and kill the ignitors.

This way, if the my switch fails, I won't be able to use the button to kill the engine. No big deal, I get home safely and fix it. The relay is specifically designed to switch high current loads 1,000's of times so it is less likely to fail. But if it does, I can remove my modified fuse tap, and install the fuse on its original location and be on my way again. I don't even have to get out of the car. I wouldn't want to be trying to splice or solder wires together in my engine bay on the side if the interstate in rush hour. Design for failure.

I have been thinking about changing my kill method. I'm not getting super reliable kills. Probably about 15% of the time, the RPMs hover at 200 or so and the car starts back up even though I'm in neutral with the clutch in. I'll probably start looking in to the injector circuit, or taking in to the key circuit.