Thread: Ideal iat
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
ctmaybury@yahoo.com
EcoModding Apprentice

I do have the stock intercooler now, but am planning to build a water to air cooler that can drop iat more than the air to air intercooler. I can fool the computer into thinking it's a nice warm sunny day by bypassing the iat sensor with a resistor (2.2k ohm I think). The ecu will then keep the injection timing advanced, giving me beter performance and economy. I think the stock programming retards the timing for emission durring cold engine operation, but the winters in Colorado get cold enough to keep the engine in that mode. My mileage takes a hit all winter. Some of that winter mileage is do to winter fuel (diesel) has a higher cetane rating to make the diesels eisier to start, but higher cetane means lower heat content. The iat fooler was developed by a guy on cumminsforum.com who has the same generation dodge I have. He regularly gets in the 20 to 23mpg range. My understanding of the systems on my truck are rudimentary, but his understanding of 2nd gen dodges is extensive. I believe if you can get around the computer, the engine will be more efficient with cold dense intake air. I might be able to prove (or disprove) that with my 2 dodges. One runs with the stock injection pump (vp44) controled by the ecu. My other truck I put the previous gen (p7100) injection pump in that doesnt respond to any of the sensors or ecu input. It gets tunned by old fashioned mechanical adjustments. That is the truck I plan to do experments with. Aba testing on each truck seperatly should give some more insight.