View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #81 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
I wired up a brake/clutch switch. I used Cat6 copper cabling innards to keep the gauge low (weight and size). I was able to tap the power connectors without splicing, though it's not going to be as reliable. Basically, took the copper off the end and shoved them into the connector's back side and taped them down. Switch is wired up temporarily the way it is, but I like the location. I plan to run the wiring through a hole once I change out the stereo, but this works for now. I also want to make it illuminate properly (I got a lot of rewiring to do inside the switch to make that part work.)

I also started on a template for a wood box to fit in the empty rear passenger side space. I figure I can get an 8" in there sealed and make it sound pretty good.

Another thing I'll be working on is the solar fan project. I did it in my Neon and it made a huge difference. Ecky has done it and done it well, so I'll avoid re-inventing the wheel and just copy some of his design.

In the Neon, I did a custom panel that went to a charge controller that also trickle-charged my 12v battery. I also had a temperature controlled relay that did not turn the fans on until it hit about 80*F in the cabin. I'll be doing the relay and making a custom panel for the Insight, but I don't think I'll try to trickle-charge the battery this go-round (but, we'll see.. tapping into the DC-DC converter is very close, but not sure if I want to deal with a charge controller again).

I have TONS of computer fans laying around, just gotta find the ones that make sense. I'm thinking the Arctic Cooling F12 fans. They do a rated 74CFM at 12v/0.24amp. Pretty efficient fans! So I'd need a solar array of about 6 watts to make it work. Gonna have to measure it out and see what makes sense. Probably do an array with 24+ solar cells in series, maybe 1"x3" cells? We'll see!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_093258.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	26011   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_153258.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	26012   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_153307.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	26013  

Last edited by NoD~; 05-29-2019 at 09:34 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to NoD~ For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-17-2016)