View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 10:40 PM   #52 (permalink)
carolina guy
EcoModding Lurker

Stormtrooper - '14 Ford F-150 XLT, 4x4, Crew Cab 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahfreak View Post
Are they serious with that 26.1 mpg number for light trucks? Having driven several pickups, 2 of which had 4 bangers in them, I'd be hard pressed to believe that any model pickup would AVERAGE 26.1 mpg. Best I ever saw was 28 with my 2wd manual 4 cyl Frontier on a long flat highway drive at 55 mph. That truck averaged about 21 or 22 around town and could dip down into the teens at times. If they're including crossovers, even my wife's Escape crossover SUV with the 1.6L and FWD averages in the LOW 20's and she drives it like a grandma. Something is off with those numbers. The 18.5 number from 1980 is equally as ridiculous. I know that trucks can get better mileage than these EPA numbers, but like I said, in stock form those numbers are at the peak of capabilities in ideal conditions (flat ground, low speed limit, no stops) in my experience. The most fuel efficient cars I've driven are almost double the mpg of the most fuel efficient trucks I've driven.
I am getting VERY regular 21.5 mpg highway (at 75mph) for my 2004 f150 without much being done to it yet other than a efan...will be covering the bed soon and see if that helps.