View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-HX View Post
that why I suggested a stock lightened flywheel, just weighed a vx one and it came to 15.5 vs the stock 18lbs or so.

I trust Honda, there was a reason the vx came with the lightened version
I just got that... the Civic vx came with lighter flywheel from the factory. I know what you mean, it's hard to argue with the factory guys who do this stuff for a living.

maybe I think too much, but there must be some reason I'm not seeing, I wonder what drove the Honda engineers to make that change?

Is by chance, the curb weight of the Civic vx less than say, a well equiped regular civic?

Another possible answer is the placement of the weight in the flywheel. I read an article within a catalog on this once (GBE in Orange, CA I think). Inertia storage is a function of not just overal weight, but where the weight is placed with respect to the axis of rotation (rotating mass distance from crank centerline).

A real good example of this effect is a racing bicycle tire/wheel combo. I used to race bicycles, so I've seen/felt the effect in person. Considering two different tire/wheel combos, but one tire wheel combo has a big heavy hub and flyweight rim, titanium nipples, race weight tire and tube. The other has an ultra-light hub and spokes, but a touring tire and rim. Again, same overall weight, just distributed differently. Tire-wheel combo #2 storeds more inertia, does not accelerate as quickly as combo #1 out on the open road. Yet they both weight the same.