View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lonesome Trail
EcoModding Lurker

Shorty - '00 Ford F150 XLT super cab flare side
90 day: 19.59 mpg (US)

Silver Car - '12 Ford Mustang GT Premium Coupe
90 day: 25.85 mpg (US)

Merky - '97 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
90 day: 19.15 mpg (US)
LOL, yeah I'm not a non-believer, more of a sideways thinker...

Queen Creek is huge now, have our own Harkins, WalMart and everything! Even pass through 2 counties, Maricopa and Pinal (I'm on the Maricopa side near Sossaman and San Tan Blvd, still rural though)

I just let the results speak for themselves. It's pretty amazing the looks I get when folks see my little notebooks of fuel numbers (I keep a log for tax purposes, small business owners FTW!) It freaks people out that my lopey cam Fox Body pulls pretty consistent 21-23 depending on if I get stuck in traffic, but I always point this out to folks: When I'm on the freeway and am going up the hills (we have overpasses every mile, it's fabulous for fuel economy) I just sort of imagine my throttle increasing a hair and the car maintains speed just fine. Every 'econo' car I've owned with a stock 4 banger required rolling into the throttle to maintain speed. Same scenario, similar vehicles in terms of weight, aerodynamics, speeds, but the big 'thirsty' engines don't have to work as hard to accomplish the same tasks as the little thrifty engines.

There was an episode of Top Gear where they raced a Prius and a BMW around their track for a bit, the BMW was chasing the Prius which the Stig was driving as hard as he could. They compared fuel economy numbers at the end of the race, and the BMW M-Series got twice the fuel economy as the Prius...

Blasphemy? Maybe. Different driving situations? Absolutely. Just like if you put the same cars in rush hour stop and go for an hour with the a/c running on a 100 degree day, the Prius obviously would get waayyy better fuel economy because it gets to sit there in electric a LOT of the time while the BMW idles away. All depends on how you drive, where you drive, etc.