View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #28 (permalink)
EVmetro
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I'd like to add that it's not the Prius that's the problem, it's whomever is driving that Prius. Is there some quality in a Prius that tends to attract drivers that have this behavior you don't like? Maybe, maybe not.
So true. I don't have driving experience in a Prius, but I suspect that there may be instrumentation that would help the driver achieve better fuel efficiency, at least for his own vehicle. I have used the Scangauge2 back in the old days, and found that if I used it religiously to drive more efficiently, it really boosted my economy. I suspect that there is more to it than just the Prius driver driving for economy. Perhaps the Prius attracts a large number of blah people who are clueless about driving. The Prius itself seems to be a remarkable machine, but perhaps many of the drivers are not exactly car enthusiasts.

In defense of the eco drivers who drive the Prius, if efficiency for your own fuel is your only concern, doing 55 in the hammer lane will indeed yield better efficiency, but if overall usage of fossil fuels and its impact on the environment is your concern, you will have to eco drive more wisely, and in a way that may increase your own fuel consumption from time to time. Driving the speed of traffic may use a little more fuel in your own car, but could save a lot more fuel for everybody else.