View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #37 (permalink)
woodstock74
EcoModding Apprentice

TBD - '17 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 40.79 mpg (US)

Starship - '08 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.34 mpg (US)
So I had one of the hubcaps come off today. Luckily it was at very low speed (35 mph) and in my neighborhood, and I actually saw it careen off via the side view mirror. Went skipping along the side of the road in ditch and off into the grass. Wasn't damaged, but now I'm a bit gun shy. Now, I think, think I stress, that I hooked the wheel slightly off the road (there isn't a curb there) and I think that was the reason it came off. My memory is clouded because I was processing what the clicking sound was as I was looking in the side view mirror...it was the hubcap.

So the hubcap is a little worse for wear. The exterior is actually fine, but when it came off, a few very small sections of the mounting tabs cracked off. We're talking like small 1/8" corners off 3 of the tabs (there are 7 in total). Anyhow, I've been super jumpy about this possibility from the start. Had a bad experience with some moon hub caps a few years ago, and when these went on they weren't as "positive" a fit as I would like (not as positive as the factory hub caps). But they were certainly cheap.

What I'm wondering, I was thinking of putting a very small dab of silicone on each tab before I post it back on to the wheel to give it some extra stick/insurance. In the back of my mind I'm thinking it spontaneously launched off even though I know the conditions leading to it leaving the car were probably the culprit. But...any reason to think it would be a bad idea to put some silicone on the tabs? I only intend to use a small dab, smaller than your little finger nail, on each as they do need to come off at some point in the future. Thoughts?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodstock74 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-27-2016), BamZipPow (05-27-2016)