View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 02:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
I've been a "sports car" driver since I got my first car. Although my "sports cars" all have small engines, I have contemplated getting a faster/heavier/thirstier car.

IMO when it comes to these cars, this is the checklist:
1. Unless the car is really cheap or ugly, don't go too crazy on body modification for aerodynamics, just do the underbody, maybe a spoiler if you don't mind reduced visibility out the rear. If the car is really cheap, maybe replace the mirrors with smaller ones to get lower drag.

2. Usually sports cars are geared short. If first gear is more than adequate for taking off from a stop, I'd toss some slightly bigger tires on the rear wheels for "taller gearing".

3. The engine of a sports car is usually wasteful, but it would be strange to reduce the peak power of the car. For a NA engine, I'd maybe do a cam regrind to get more "Atkinson cycle" at low rpm and shift the powerband slightly higher. This way your throttling losses are reduced, and if you want to go fast, just drop down a few gears and hear the engine music.

4. Mods that both make the car faster and more efficient are great. Switching power steering to electrohydraulic or electric is probably the biggest one. Weight loss is great, electric water pump or underdriven pulley is great.