View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
'62 Dodge D-100 'aero-back' concept

I mentioned this @ permalink#2044,page 205,of the 'Interesting Aerodynamic Cars' thread.
I abandoned this project in 2005 when AeroStealth sold me his T-100.It's languished ever since.
The idea was to lose the entire truck bed and construct a new one which incorporated boat-tailing from right behind the cab,both in elevation and plan-taper.
I first constructed a wooden flatbed,then attached underfloor storage pods,fore and aft of the wheels,a between-the-frame spare tire enclosure,and then above-floor storage pods.
Everything is fashioned with the Aerodynamic Streamlining Template in mind,morphing from station to station,gaining tumble home and transverse radii.
The wheels are 'just' contained within the profile,and would be fully-skirted in the finished product.
Between the upper pods I maintained a little over 48" clearance so drywall and plywood could still be easily transported.Raiseable in-floor rollers would help with ingress/egress.

The aero-back just satisfies the basic needs of a pickup bed while optimizing pressure recovery in the wake and would bridge that gap between the aerodynamics of a pickup and conventional automobile.Probably eclipse them.
I've done my best to photograph it in situ.I've got nowhere to move it to.So I apologize for the lowsy images.

freebeard (06-04-2016), gumby79 (06-04-2016), t vago (06-04-2016)