View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
cistercian
EcoModding Lurker

Civic Si better than hoped!

I joined this forum originally with a 1995 civic ex.I could squeeze 50+ out of that car...but at 320k it began to become inefficient.My father gave me a 2003 Si which due to poor CD, gearing and low compression never did do very well...but it was free so I drove it until this past thursday when a full size chevy hit me while I was stopped for a light...he was going 45...the 03 Si was annihilated...and I am apparently ok.I hope.

Anyhow I needed a new car so I bought a 2013 honda civic Si Coupe.It is rated 22 city 31 highway and 25 combined.I figured those numbers to be very low and had good reason to believe I could do better...for the following reasons: The new car has a better CD than the old one.The bottom is almost completely covered...it almost has a full belly pan stock!The engine, while larger at 2.4 vs 2 liters had a 11 to 1 compression ratio vs 9 to 1 for the old car.The new engine gained it's displacement by being stroked...which is good for torque and low rpm operation...and the car has a 6 speed close ratio transmission with overdrive...so decent low rpm at cruise vs the old cars very high highway rpm.I went 100 miles and then back on the same route and got 42.3MPG.The best leg of the trip was 45.6mpg...much better than the paltry 31 the car is rated at.I enjoyed a WOT excursion which cost 1.5mpg at least!This car has exceeded my expectations.My next goal is 48.Heavy traffic prevented really good technique...

I am very pleased.The car is a real rocket but properly handled capable of pretty decent fuel economy.I use shell premium only.

Not bad for a hot rod!

The Following User Says Thank You to cistercian For This Useful Post:
teoman (08-10-2018)