View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
justy999cc
EcoModding Lurker

Ideas for two trade students motor swap

:-) :-) :-) :-)

My happy little fwd Justy is sitting at home about to be retired from a daily, I was gifted a Hyundia accent to get to work from my parents before they snow bird to florida. (Requires road trip home) So I want to take out the subaru's three banger carbed motor thats survived for years on low compression. Got it for a few jays a buck or two and a tradjecly hip cd (no joke, oil worker didnt want it any more) two years ago and it hasnt given up the ghost. So in honnor of its pep. I was thinking of drive train options, a toyota 4wd trans, and a smart CDI motor's been caught in my head. I might just keep the focus on a motor swap, keep the old five speed, ive got a friend whos in sheet metal wants to make the addapter plate in exhange for stick practice. But, with all enthuisum in check, what's a good plan of attack? It's no ones dream car but mine, i just want to keep its fun rear end and cut wieght, put in a modern motor. Aero mods maybe but not yet, I live in Bc on vancouver island with only a few highways over 80kph(50mph). It's a fun driving car and I've been doing structural welding classes all year, so ideas? Warnings? Obvious errors in my plan? Let the rookie know!

I would love to do an EV, but not today. I like diesels, ived had a few, and mercedes have great motors and terrible gearboxes. A TDI seems heavy, but i'll listen to suggestions