View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
ChillyBear
Semi-serious ecomodder

I've researched down this path although never followed it, nor do I have ANY rep around ecomodder. I'm aspiring to live on a sailboat and cruise.
What I think is important is how much you plan to drive it. Are you going to be commuting IN IT, or TO IT? communiting in it will probably make a LESHARO a nice choice, either with a dodge 3.3 fwd caravan power train for reliability, or a Renault diesel if you want an anemic engine to become your hobby.

I want to recommend the biggest vehicle possible, like say a 35+ft rv, but honestly at that length, you will need LOTS of ground clearance if you ever want to go down dirt/gravel roads at state parks etc. Some of the most awesome places to boondock need a noble vehicle to get to. So if you go big, you're not gonna be able to hug the road, although a boat tail might work, but damn. I would not want to daily drive that sucker.

I'd get a short bus, with underfloor storage in the front, which tapers to the back to give ground clearance.
Or just buy say an Econoline rv with a 300-I6, or a 460. Although they are big motors, they run efficiently under heavy loads if tuned right. If you research them, ignore the fuel injection's mpg numbers. They are big motors when running stoic afr's, but with either egr or lean burn or both, they can sip fuel at lean ratios without burning up or misfiring. And they are dead reliable and cheap. They also hugely favor torque over power, and are just awesome at low rpm. That, and they never need touched if you change the oil. I doubt you will find a 300-i6 in an rv, but man that would be the best gasoline engine I could think of if you were running 10k pounds or more. Yet were concerned about fuel economy, and daily driving. And were willing to run an megasquirt or something, although they'd probably beat other similar rigs in the gas mileage department, even with EPA legal electronics.

I'm not much of a hyper miler, but I LOVE lean burn ford engines.