View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
dfeldt91
EcoModding Apprentice

Mazda 3 - '06 Mazda 3 iTouring
Things you can remove:

AC
Heater Core
All HVAC system
Passenger wiper
Wiper reservoir and lines
Junk in car
Metal hump in center of spare tire area
Engine covers
under hood insulation(also will help with cooling the engine off if removed)
Rear seat if you don't use it
Rear seat belts if you don't use it

I quickly found that weight reduction gave me worse economy because it really woke the car up performance wise. If you can resist the go fast urge then it will help in city driving. I also noticed with 350 pounds removed from my car, basically the entire interior minus the top half of the dash and front seats, that the highway MPG went down slightly due in part to the lower rolling distance with a lighter car and the added space in the wheel wells.

The only issue I see here is that you are removing little weight in the grand scheme of things so the added percent or two in drag will make your economy go down more likely at higher speeds as was evident in my testing. The car has to be lowered after a lot of reduction and then it makes it not worth it because the money spent on the project is more than any fuel savings.

I have a goal of doubling my fuel economy from the EPA rating so I am willing to spend a bit of money to do so just to do so. But a sane person would just not worry about it and do hypermiling instead.

Another thing to do would be to reroute your serpentine belt if possible to avoid the engine fan and get an electric fan that is set to turn on with a thermal switch of some sort.

Have you done a grille block yet? Have you done an under engine cover? These two mods cost less than $15 in material for corrugated plastic and will actually give you instantly noticeable and measurable results which can be easily returned to stock.