View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 03:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
What Ford really needs is the 3.5 ecoboost in the Mustang. I'm positive that would be quicker then the 5.0 GT. Too much butt hurt in the 5.0 faithful for that to happen.
The current 3.5L EB may be a toss up with the 5.0 with both tuned for a sporty car versus the EBs current uses in F150 and Transit van. The EB gives up a little hp in the truck versus the V8, but bests the Coyote in peak torque, and of course destroys the NA V8 in torque flatness.

But for 2017, Ford has announced an all-new 3.5L EB that will leave horsepower the same @ 365, except for the Raptor monster truck thingie version that will presumably have more turbo psi and other tweaks that will have huge numbers, but with respect to standard version of this all-new design, the new 3.5 EB torque will be up'd from 420 to 450 peak lb-foot. The new one will combine direct injection with port fuel injection to help eliminate carbon buildup, which was a problem with the first edition for those who make a lot of short trips with DI only.

BTW, Ford will be also bringing a 10-speed transmission to the lineup. Don't know if it will be mated with all four engines or whether they'll be selective like GM and Ram have with their 8 speeds.

Oddly, GM came out with an 8-speed for 2016 model year, but had already jointly worked with Ford to develop the technology for a 10-speed. I guess maybe that's why the Chevy and GMC trucks won't yet have a ten speed, because GM has already developed an 8-speed and has decided to let Ford go first on the ten speed.

Personally, I've got the 6-speed with the 2.7 EB in a light, small version of the F150, and I can't imagine how more gears could do me much better. It's already to the point where I can accelerate from a stop, going up hill, and the tach will never show beyond 1900 RPM if I pay attention to accelerating modestly. Additionally on the highway, I can climb a 7% grade for 3/4-mile, with an empty bed at 59 mph along a state highway and only 50% of the time will it downshift to 5th (depending on how windy it is outside). But those times when it does downshift to 5th, I'm still under 2000 RPM. So how does 4 more gears help me stay in a more efficient band of engine speed, when my truck stays down low all the time for just regular driving. And if I'm working it hard towing or hauling, it's going to have to kick down for some RPM for power whether it's got four gears or ten, so it's hard for me to see how mpg goes up; at least with the Ecoboost engines with this new ten speed. But it may help in the EPA test cycle for mpg, and maybe that's what it's all about anyway.

Last edited by gregsfc; 06-11-2016 at 03:18 PM..