View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #38 (permalink)
herbivor
EcoModding Lurker

Gazers Car - '09 Nissan Pixo N-TEC
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)
lpg spark plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambenz View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new on ecomodder and proud to be part of the community ! I just read this thread and have already two questions :
- Is it best to have a cold or warm air intake with LPG ?
- For the spark plugs, do you use the OEM recommended gap or a little bit narrower like few people advise ?

Thank you for your replies !!
Ok, bit late for a reply and I am sure you have it well sorted out by now, but for anyone else wondering the best LPG set-up, heres my advice.
LPG is a little bit more dense then petrol, hence a smaller spark plug gap. Also, its recommended to run with (hope I have got this the right way round) cooler plugs as LPG runs hotter. All this being said, I kept my current car OEM on the plugs with no adverse effects.
As for a hotter intake system-NO WAY. Hot air losses energy for the engine as it contains less oxygen per given volume. A lot of LPG systems require you start on petrol to get you up to temp because
1)ECU still may be booting up and may not like the LPG gas just yet
2)Keeps the petrol injectors from blocking up so its worth using them at least once per journey
3)LPG sucks heat from the cooling system. On a very cold morning and without starting with any heat in the water, there is a risk of freezing the pipes
4)as mentioned, LPG is more difficult to ignite, so using the stuff on a warm engine will ensure no miss-fires.