View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #2063 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
hinged/slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Possibly the whole pontoon is hinged at the rear?

It's also possible that there is enough plan taper in the underside to allow the steeper slope? Or would that have it backward.

I trimmed the video title, but I think this was an early study for the Edison2:

*I don't see any evidence that R-R could turn its front wheels.Even if vertical displacement is accommodated by a telescopic strut on the inside of the wheel and hidden within the fairing,they've given no facility for wheel flop,especially during a coincident vertical displacement without it colliding with the fender.The whole assembly would have to center pivot like a Soapbox Derby car,and there's no fore or aft clearance from the body to allow that kind of movement.

I suspect that there isn't even a powerplant in the car.Just a glider,static display.
*As to the diffuser,we know that 2.5-4-degrees is best for low drag.Above 11-degrees,all streamlining benefit is lost completely.As an inverted wing section,at this kind of angle of attack,the lower face would be beyond burble point,and into full stall.

What is shown will produce strong delta-wing vortices,like the Concorde or Space Shuttle used for crucial lift.(downforce in this case [ induced drag])
If the cars were capable of high speeds,these dirty diffusers would help them during cornering and prevent aquaplaning.

Last edited by aerohead; 06-17-2016 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: add image