View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I just wasted a BOATLOAD of gas!

Found an old GMC motorcoach online and fell in lust.

Made the arrangements to go get it. It wasn't a runner but that didn't sway me- I'd haul it on my 18' flatbed!

Google maps said almost 1,000 miles... ONE WAY.

Did lots of "deferred maintenance" on the F150 in preparation: new: u-joint, ignition lock cylinder, headlight switch and multi-pin connector, battery, starter, radiator. Four new tires on the flatbed.

And I'm off!

First of all, Google maps is a liar. You can check a box for a route withOUT toll roads so I did... started off on that route... came upon a TOLL.

Found out that it's a tough system to beat as the so-called routes outside of the tolls SUCK. I mean, I had no idea, no conception, that it was possible to have so much suck all on one route. "One route" being, 97 different roads and side streets, none of which have been paved or worked on since 1951. Not counting the DETOURS. Detours for what? Are they really working on the road? I put more wear and tear on the pickup in 10 hours on "Route 20" than I did in the last 10 years of MN driving COMBINED. Stop start stop start stop start stop start stop start stop start stop start. People live like that?!?

Drove straight through. 26 hours. Only gas and piddle stops. NOT recommended. :/

But I made it! Saw the coach. Evaluated the coach. It was FUBAR. Decided that not only does every square inch of it need work- far above my pay grade- hauling the heavy pig would destroy my truck and trailer besides. Gut instinct said to run away as fast as I could. Gut instinct finally heeded.

Set out for home. Paid the damn tolls- about $70 "worth". Quite the scam Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois have going- 10-20 cents/mile? Ursurious rates and the toll roads still suck.

It's not like the benefit was lower gas prices from lack of State gas taxes to pay for roads. Crap roads AND 40 cents/gallon higher! That's a wow.

Found a second (or was it third?) wind and kept driving. Got lost in Chicago. Quite easy to do, especially for one that hasn't driven in a metro area for decades.

Found a way out that wasn't a toll! Drove and drove and drove.

43 hours and 1,900 miles after setting out, made it to Mom's. Barely. I was a very poor driver towards the end with several micro black-outs. No collisions or going in the ditch, but either could have easily happened. Only stops were gas, piddle, and that hour of looking at that GMC. Zombilicious.

I would not recommend this to anyone. Except perhaps someone I hate.

$240 in gas; $70 in tolls. About $1000 in work to truck and trailer. For naught.

Lesson learned. I hope.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 06-17-2016 at 06:12 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
mcrews (06-17-2016), niky (06-20-2016), redpoint5 (06-19-2016)