View Single Post
Old 06-18-2016, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
1973 Canyonlands for major redo. Unit purchased in 1995 in poor condition, fixed mechanicals including new bushings on front end A-arms, used for 4 years, then began major overhaul. Life happened, never finished project. Great start for someone that wants great fuel economy with the benefits of a GMC motorhome or just wanting it for parts….that are worth thousands of $'s. 120K miles on the odometer.

Unique features: 1980 5 cyl. Mercedes diesel with Audi quattro 5 speed, fast ratio powersteering, bearings on rear boggies, front are removed. Rear sway bar, modified rear cap with new backlight, glass skylights installed where old vents were.

Condition: Inside has been removed for the most part. Bath is still in place and is in good condition. Has new ss hot water heater. Engine controls have not yet been integrated into the inside. Dash is in poor condition. Most gages work. Floor around front needs work where the new engine was integrated. Has good gas/elecrefrid., gas stove and oven. Painted propane tank ready for remount. Bunks in front side are good. Have most of old interior parts, cabinets, etc. and lots of spare parts. Vehicle stored on concrete and tarped for 13 years. Engine runs and can move vehicle but front facia with lights never finished ( have all parts). Will need to be towed or hauled.
I'm up for a challenge and I knew going in that it was cosmetically challenged. What I didn't appreciate was that every square inch of it was bad, as in, even the gelcoat on the fiberglass was bad, leaving exposed 'glass fibers swaying in the breeze. The windshield is broken (expensive), the gutters are gone (removing them is a huuuge no-no), and I was hoping for a gutted interior as a stock GMC would overload my trailer but no, the interior, while destroyed, was all in there.

As you can see, part of the allure was the ****canning of the stock 455 and slip-slidey a/t in favor of a turbodiesel 5sp m/t! I'm also all-in on the bogey delete. I liked the way the mods were headed and was ready to carry the torch to seeing it through to completion. Until the enormity of it all set in.

There is no cat. R.I.P. Cecil.

F150: I smoked the a/c clutch or the belt or the compressor, not sure which at this point. Haven't gone out there to look at it. I probably finally destroyed the stock OEM brake pads and shoes too. If it didn't need tie rod ends and/or ball joints, it does now. The transmission had been gradually declining and this trip put it over the edge. I can drive it "home" but it needs an overhaul.

The happiness level started to deteriorate upon the discovery of that first toll. One could say it "took a toll". It never recovered after that.

I drove for hours and hours with my jaw hanging open, such was the shock, the utter disbelief, the near state of speechlessness, the sheer DEVASTATION of the environment the area suffers!

The only correct decision I made during the entire ordeal was leaving it there.

If I ever propose to go out on similar "fun", I hope someone smacks me hard upside the head.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 06-19-2016 at 01:36 AM..