View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
The only "racing" technique I use hypermiling is choosing the ideal line for a corner. Typically starting wide going tight into the apex and then wide out without getting on the brakes if possible. My rules are no tire squeal and no cutting into other lanes.
I also have a gravel road short cut on my commute with 3 nice 90 degree bends that I can see if anyone is coming. I may occaisionally do some left foot braking with the Neon so I can enter the corner briskly and then put the car a bit sideways if needed to hold my line. Sounds kind of dangerous but I can say I haven't even come close to losing control and it will be only my dumbass in the ditch if things go bad somehow. This mostly for fun though as being on the gas and brake at the same time probably negates my higher entry and exit speeds...

MazdaMatt,
I'm sure there are ways to use less gas while maintaining most of the speed while racing. Probably slow in and fast out, rolling on the throttle instead of mashing it and avoiding big drift angles while accelerating would cover most of it I'd think.