View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 12:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Trevs
EcoModding Lurker

Hey, just poking in here again to say this really has been a long time project idea and who knows if I'll ever build an ev but I haven't started any fires yet which is a good thing but don't have the Firefly anymore either.

I put some attention to modding my small engine equipment and now run my lawn mower and snow blower on propane. A 20lb tank will cut the grass all summer. Whether that's ecomodding, idk, tho I sure appreciate not having to use gasoline for it. I also rebuilt a corded electric mower and plugged it directly into a string of alarm batteries and it worked too. Borrowed a chainsaw from work and didn't have any gasoline at my place and after getting some, really didn't miss that with how I spill and the way the exhaust smell sticks to you.

I bought a random scrap 48v forklift with what I was told has a bad controller for next to nothing. I hooked 4 old car batteries to it and everything works except drive. I get an error code 512 to do with the traction problem which I couldn't find anything to reference with. The traction motor is a 9" GE and has 10,000 hours on it so Idk if it is like really worn as that seems high?.

My car in need of a "motor" now is a 3300 lb vintage full size. I think it would be cool to have an electric conversion done with the 3 on the tree transmission but the weight and size of my motor, if it's potentially working, may not mesh well.

I'm wondering if I should consider selling my vintage car project in favour of getting a small car to suit my ev project wannabe something or other.

Everything i'd learned about evs is pretty much gone! I have lots of scrap tho including Anderson Connectors, wire, a whole fork lift. To do this project, I would likely need a motor controller, possibly a motor if mine doesn't work?, batteries, a car, some way to adapt these things, and time. I think I have pretty much enough of the rest.