View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
MechEngVT
Mechanical Engineer

The Truck - '02 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Sport
90 day: 13.32 mpg (US)

The Van 2 - '06 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 20.56 mpg (US)

GoKart - '14 Hyundai Elantra GT base 6MT
90 day: 32.18 mpg (US)

Godzilla - '21 Ford F350 XL
90 day: 8.69 mpg (US)
If Honda bothered to design and place this item on the Hybrid you can bet it wasn't because it increased drag.

The deck lid spoiler could very well reduce drag if the flow on the normal car separates somewhere up the deck lid. The lip spoiler will help the flow stay attached (not laminar, "attached" turbulent flow) and may even generate a vortex (sharp edges are better at this than rounded ones) to reduce wake area behind the trunk.

The mirrors on the hybrid aren't just larger they're shaped differently. I'm curious as to why the mirrors on the hybrid would be larger but the shape looks like it makes sense. Most of the "aero" mirrors on high-end cars these days (BMWs) have a design more similar to the HCH than the EX where the leading face of the mirror has a split line with a downward-facing angle below and an upward-facing angle above, and the split line on the HCH/BMW is about 60-70% above the bottom edge of the mirror. On the Civic EX it looks like the split line is dead center to below-center.

Good eye re: lower front lip Tourigjm...I looked at the photos before reading the thread and noticed that myself. Not only a lower lip on the hybrid but looks like it flares further out to the side of the car in front of the tire.