View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #67 (permalink)
gizzardgulpe
EcoModding Lurker

Blue Tunic - '13 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 43.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Those are some pretty decent tank numbers, especially for an automatic, I just checked the EPA ratings and it looks like you have a 1 mpg highway penalty. However, EPA ratings for manuals are so much easier to beat.
Thanks. The automatic transmission is one of the very few things I dislike about the car. The other is the inability to turn off the AC during defrost. I'm willing to turn up the heat to reduce relative humidity, but Honda apparently thinks I'm too dumb to make that decision for myself.

Quote:
The city rating for this V6 is pretty abysmal, at 18 mpg. I can confirm that it is an accurate rating. The secret to getting good city mileage is to avoid having to start from a stop. These are heavy cars, and this engine drinks fuel when accelerating, so try to coast as much as possible.
Preaching to the choir. I think my two low MPG tanks came from a 20:80 city:highway driving mix, instead of my usual 5:95 ratio. Absolutely kills the efficiency to wait at a light and take off to avoid causing traffic problems.

My biggest concern with neutral coasting is how hard the transmission shifts. I only have 40k miles on it, but it probably has the old Dextron III or IV fluid, which I guess Honda changed to DW-1. I'm planning to change it in the next couple of weeks and I hope it smooths out the shifting a bit so I don't feel so queasy about pulse and glide and neutral coasting.

To be clear, it doesn't shift harshly enough to worry me, but I kinda figured a 2007 transmission would be about as perfect as auto trans technology gets. My wife's 2001 shifts a hair smoother though, so I dunno.

Quote:
One big thing to be concerned about with the accord v6 engines of this time period is loose spark plugs. The number 5 spark plug is notorious for coming loose and popping out. Cylinder number 5 is the front middle cylinder, closest to the bumper, as opposed to the firewall. My number 5 plug was actually fine, but my number 2 plug was HAND TIGHT! Check yours!
Good looking out. I'll check mine later today. I pulled one out when I bought the car last month to see if they needed to be replaced or cleaned, and it was tight, but I didn't check them all.

Quote:
As far as aero mods go, I would suggest that you make an engine undertray first. I noticed an improvement in coasting when I installed mine. I would not suggest trying to add onto the existing front undertray thing, instead I suggest starting at the bumper and making your way back. That is the best way to make sure your undertray stays ON your car.
I made a wind dam of the front of the bumper with some aluminum sheet metal and some L brackets. It looked great and had a nice shape. Until I hit a burst of wind and it got deformed, then I hit a floodway from a parking lot and the whole thing got mangled to hell.

I haven't yet decided if I'm going to improve the wind dam and reattach it or shape the aluminum into other smaller mods.

I would sure like to get a hold of the hybrid diffuser though. Maybe drop that .29 drag coefficient to .28