View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
99metro
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
I think the gearing and pyro are going to be your be payback items.

Mine has 4.10s and just by hypermiling, I'm getting 22mpg+. At 55 mph I'm at 1750 rpm - the "sweet" spot. If my gearing was higher, then I could idle around better. I already have a BTS tranny which can handle any horsepower handed to it. The gear vendors overdrive unit would be great to go between towing heavy loads and getting really good FE. I wouldn't think a stock transmission would have any issues with hypermiling at low rpms though even with the gear vendors overdrive. Just my opinion.

The pyro will let you know where you are wasting in acceleration. I keep mine at 600 degrees pre-turbo, while accelerating and steady-state.

Your aero mods might give you a bit more, but your driving style will be THE most return for your $$. I don't plan on aero-modding my old 96 F250 4x4 SC diesel. I have to tow with it, haul stuff, and be around my cattlemen neighbors - it just wouldn't fit in!

I think I'd start with a 2x4 shortbed diesel with an auto tranny (I would have to make one, I know). Get a lowering kit, pizza pans, chop the top, aero the bed, gear vendors overdrive, skirt the wheel wells, aero the front fascia, dam the wipers, open the exhaust and intake, burn an economy chip, remove the mirrors, add a nastruck air dam, add supper skinny bonneville salt flats tires... etc