View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 06:55 PM   #47 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,187 Times in 813 Posts
I just got 10.4 mpg towing the new travel trailer 84 miles gaining 2000 feet at about 65 mph. I need to fill up again to check the downhill to get the average ( I will guess an average of 11 for now). This is a new, tall and wide, standard travel trailer (although not very long and under 6000 pounds). We still have the Hi-lo which with the same truck over the same course and speed would be about 14 mpg. So for the added room, if we travel 2000 miles a year we will use an extra 40 gallons of gas. I looked at getting an Ecodiesel Ram which would get much better MPG, but it just never would make up for the extra cost over the $10,000 Hemi Aspen. Those Ecodiesels are at least $25,000 used.
If one went further distances, or if gas gets back up to $5/gal then fighting for those 5-6 mpg might be worth it, but for now, we will just take the $100/year hit on the extra gas and sleep 7 in comfort instead of 4 in misery.
I still will look for some low hanging fruit, I wish somebody would make a simple ABS fairing for the A/C unit. The factory is so clueless, there is a bubble over the shower (for extra headroom) shaped perfectly like the template... It's just on there backwards!