View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #2782 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon_Shane View Post
Hey guys,

I'm working my way through this thread. it's great stuff. I'm interested in the DC controller. For those of you who've built it, how difficult would it be to build this controller for the average electronic hobbyist?

My Evnetics controller just died on my and I'm thinking it might be fun to try and build this one rather then buy another controller (that will probably just break in a couple years).

Is Paul planning to put this together into a kit?

cheers
I have talked to Paul about making the kit available. I believe that the only hold-up is Paul's time. Instructions take a lot of time and preparation! And so does kitting the right number of parts into small bags and labeling it all.

About the construction - there are SOME surface-mount parts since all of the parts are just not available in DIP any more. I would not recommend the build for someone who has never soldered before .. but if you have soldered before you should be good. The mechanical stuff is where I have problems ... drilling and tapping holes in the heat sink; getting the holes in the lid to line up; getting the gasket on the cooling plate to seal; supporting the capacitor while you are making connections.

You will need a big soldering iron for soldering copper plate, and an electronics soldering iron for soldering surface mount chips ...
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
Yukon_Shane (06-29-2016)