View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #68 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
roof wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
That I'm sure is true, but a notch-back coupe is a magnitude larger source of drag compared to even the worst slotted wing.

If one could get a notch-back coupe or pick-up truck to manage the air flow off the roof in any manner and by any means and improve upon the stock configuration, then I say go for it.

My seat of the pants testing says the roof wing works, I encourage others to give it a try and see for themselves.

We are going to see more and more of these air-diverters and air management systems fitted to cars and trucks in the future, best we make some attempt to understand them.
There's not a great deal of data on roof wings.
The late 60s AMC Javelin was tested.It's rooftop wing didn't do anything.
One of the Toyota Celica Supra's was tested.It's rooftop wing was useless as well.
This might be it,Cd 0.348

The Mercedes-Benz 190 EVO had a combo much like the Lancer,with roof trailing edge deflector and trunklid-mounted wing which helped with stability.I don't know about drag.
The Texas Tech truck wing was non-aspirated so it wasn't really a 'wing',as used in normal parlance.
Here is a Ford iteration of their Texas Tech creation

Kind of an embryonic/vestigial wing on this concept

Another non-aspirated 'wing'

The looming CAFE standards may spell the end for 'hard' notchbacks.Even Subaru has evolved the Lancer with a 'sportback' greenhouse.
freebeard (07-04-2016)