View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #2785 (permalink)
Yukon_Shane
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
I have talked to Paul about making the kit available. I believe that the only hold-up is Paul's time. Instructions take a lot of time and preparation! And so does kitting the right number of parts into small bags and labeling it all.

About the construction - there are SOME surface-mount parts since all of the parts are just not available in DIP any more. I would not recommend the build for someone who has never soldered before .. but if you have soldered before you should be good. The mechanical stuff is where I have problems ... drilling and tapping holes in the heat sink; getting the holes in the lid to line up; getting the gasket on the cooling plate to seal; supporting the capacitor while you are making connections.

You will need a big soldering iron for soldering copper plate, and an electronics soldering iron for soldering surface mount chips ...
thanks for this response. I'm not too worried about the soldering bits, I have a fair bit of experience with that. I'm more concerned about the documentation. I don't have a lot of experience reading circuit diagrams, etc. so I'd need to have a good idea as to how everything fits together. I'll keep reading through these posts and see if it make sense to me.

it's a pretty awesome project, I'd love to be able to say that I built my own controller.