View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 03:13 AM   #71 (permalink)
gizzardgulpe
EcoModding Lurker

Blue Tunic - '13 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 43.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
.29? Do you have a coupe? Sedans are .30 (hybrid is .29) and coupes are .29
Yeah, I have the coupe. Red, and hail damaged to hell.

Quote:
I think if you want to P&G, you should try "rev matching" it. For example with the torque converter unlocked in 5th gear on the freeway at 60mph, the engine is at 2500rpm. So before shifting from neutral to D, I give the gas a jab to bring it to 2500rpm ish, and it is very very smooth.
I gave this a try and you are absolutely correct. Smooth as a low-viscosity synthetic oil not entirely unlike butter.

It does make me think though. I did a little engine data log on my wife's Grand Prix that I haven't tried with the Honda yet, but I noticed when I coast in gear in the GP, fuel consumption skyrockets, but coast time is reduced. When shifting into neutral, fuel consumption goes up but not nearly as high as it did in gear; however, coasting time increases significantly enough that the fuel savings is offset significantly. Maybe it's going into some kind of lean burn when coasting in Drive?

So I wonder if in some circumstances if it is better to coast in gear, maybe to try to avoid braking before a light that you suspect will turn green if you slow down just a little bit. Then again, the difference might be insignificant in the long term.