View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #98 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
If you can get the complete rear end, it's just a matter of disconnecting the brake lines and unhooking the shocks and springs, driveshaft, then swapping them out. It's a couple hours work once you get used to it.

Once the new axle is on, bleed your brakes.

A complete rear end swap is much faster than a gear swap.
I wonder if, 5 years later, Christ, rmay635703, or elhigh are still on these forums?

I did end up changing the transmission, and left the rear end alone.

But yesterday, while bump starting the engine after EOC, the differential pinion (the part that goes between the transaxle and the internal gear) snapped off (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

An instant later the differential locked up, so something must be broken inside as well, and replacing the pinion probably won't be enough.

So now I'm looking at replacing the rear axle afterall.

I suppose while I'm at it, I may as well get a taller gear ratio.

My question, if anyone happens to know, is which ones will fit properly (same suspension attachment points, hubs I can mount my existing wheels to, compatible U joint to the transaxle)?

It currently has a Dana 60 (or possibly Dana 70).
Probably (?) 3.73

There seem to be a number of axles used on F-250s with the same or better weight ratings.
Would I be able to put in a D70HD or D80 (from the 350 of the same year range), or a Ford 10.5 or 10.25 (from newer 250s)?
What else might be compatible?

I'm hoping to be able to just check door tags to tell whether a particular truck at the junk yard is a potential donar (though I suppose there's no way to get the gear ratio short of checking the case tag, but at least I could narrow down if it's even a candidate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?