View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #142 (permalink)
Pooft Lee
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by He-man View Post
Ive been reading this thread all morning and am really confused as to what i should of for a belly pan. I see that the Chevy Ev1 has a perfectly flat belly pan and looking at aircraft the bodies are smooth as can be on planes. Many of the new high mileage cars have perfectly flat belly pans.

With all this being said, why wouldn't planes be dimpled on the body? I understand that dimpling works to reduce drag on spheres but where is the proof that it works on flat objects? And furthermore, what is the purpose of causing turbulent attached air on the bottom when the top and sides of the car don't necessarily have turbulent air but it is attached?

I am a newby to Aero stuff so if i said something dumb be nice
As far as whats practical, a flat undertray will reduce drag. This thread is packed with hypotheticals and theories, so being confused is totally normal.

For practicality, a flat pan will cut drag even if it isn't perfect. An air dam is a much less time consuming place to start, with similar benefits

One reason dimpling isn't common is cost. Flat is way easier. The other big one, is that without the steep transitions that cause flow separation, you don't need it. The golf ball is fighting flow separation as best it can to shrink its wake.

Its been explored a little previously, but size is the biggest issue. A large object like a car will inevitably have turbulent flow anyways. You can use vortex generators to help, but those are adding drag upstream to hopefully ease it downstream, and not ideal

If you wanted more on why people are talking about rough surfaces to streamline, they're concerned about the boundary layer. Attached airflow has a greater influence on the vehicle. Metal intake manifolds leave the casting roughness to avoid attached airflow and keep velocity high, and boats use it as well. Ford tried it on the probe iv with difficult to measure results.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure when turbulent attached and laminar attached airflow are best. I don't think there is a "right" answer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pooft Lee For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-09-2016), oldtamiyaphile (07-07-2016)