View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
So, yesterday I made the existing hole in the upper grille block 1/2" higher, roughly an inch and half wider on top(width not changed at bottom), and the half inch strip between the hole and the bottom edge removed... I did drive all the way to work and back in this configuration, but at the end of the trip to work, temperature was flirting with 220*, and at the end of the trip home, the story was the same, but I decided to try cycling the heater to remove heat, with much success... I'm not comfortable with temps staying above 210F(even with no cooling fan kick on until 228F), so I enlarged the opening again, carving a "bow tie" emblem in the center, just 3/8" above the opening, and raising the top of the opening 3/8" around the bow tie, for visual effect... Considering how well it mounts up, and the nice, almost dealer accessory-like appearance it has, I'm considering the upper grille block done, except for paint and semi-permanent mounting(not plastic tape)... If my current version of the upper doesn't bring the temps down enough(it was pretty close), I'll make small holes in the upper half of the lower grille block...

The trip to work(starting with a cold engine) averaged 39.0mpg indicated, and the trip home averaged 41.0mpg indicated, this was due to my driving to the fuel station and thus preheating the engine and while I was getting fuel the UG shut off, resetting the trip mileage figure