View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
superchow
Master of 140 hamsters

Hamster - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 29.41 mpg (US)

Whooshy Wagon - '04 Volvo V40
90 day: 23.33 mpg (US)

Minotaur - '09 Ford Taurus X SEL
90 day: 19.05 mpg (US)
Measuring Efficiency

I have been looking at different ways to measure efficiency compared to MPGs. The goal overall to reduce emissions and save the planet while still getting around is noble. However, IMHO most people consider their wallets before considering the environment.

I have also been tracking MPGs with premium fuel vs regular fuel for a long time. Yes, with my car and with my real-world situations I have seen about 10% more MPGs with premium over regular. However, as my lovely wife has pointed out, does that increase in efficiency offset the additional cost of the fuel? When fuel was over $3.50/gal the additional 20-30 cents/gallon didn't make much difference, but now that we are in the $2.50 range it's more noticeable.

So - we started to track cost per mile ($/mi) rather than miles per gallon (MPG). Because really, isn't that what people want? Low cost per mile? No matter how they get it? Regular, premium, diesel, electric, etc. It all costs money, and that is the unifying factor for us all.

Our Ford is now at around $0.12/mile and the Honda at $0.08/mi. That informs me better on how to justify driving a 22 MPG "monster" compared to my "frugal" 35+mpg Civic. It let's me weigh the additonal cost of $0.04/mi for the additional comfort and practicality, especially now that we have to do diaper changes and breast feedings while on the road.

My question is this: How do you measure efficiency/consumption/expense/etc. when it comes to transportation? Is MPG good enough? Thoughts? Comments?